Kelli's Sundries and Miscellanies

A little window into the things that make my life what it is: usually interesting, occasionally frustrating, and mostly funny. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: GA

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

OOH! Fun Weekend Ahead!

Wonderful News! My darling Joe is coming to visit! Well, technically I'm going to visit him. He's coming to the States to work for a few weeks, but he'll be in the ATL for a few days this weekend, and I'm going up to see him. Very exciting! He's hoping to come through Savannah after his work in Virginia (the boy does get around), so he can enjoy the beach a bit too.

I just realized I don't think I've been back up to Atlanta since I moved to Savannah three years ago. Wow. Time flies when you're sweltering in 108 degree heat.

Ephiphany of the Day: I was watching Face the Nation on Sunday morning (one of the only channels I can get on the ol' rabbit ears), and they were talking to Howard Dean. He mentioned how Republicans are using Bumper Sticker tactics in politics, and I thought how really just about everything in modern American society is boiled down to bumper sticker sized nuggets. It's frightening really - people base very important decisions on knowledge that's only scratching the surface of what's really there. In part, I blame technology - or really our misuse of it. We have the ability to gather huge amounts of technology from around the world, but instead we bite-size it and put it beside ads for herbal Viagra and articles about Paris Hilton's new dog. We don't know anything about the famine in Niger, but we have kept up to date on where Brad and Angelina were last seen together.

I worry for the American public, especially young people, who are being raised in a world of limitless, but basically pointless, information. We are making ourselves a very isolated population, unaware of developments outside our own country, and more frighteningly, developments happening in the world because of events occuring in our own country. This sort of provincialism can only lead to further isolation from the rest of the world.

Scary. :( Alright, time to turn up the air conditioning - it's a hot one today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home