Maybe they weren't Scouts
Ok, I know that this will be seen as yet another sign that I am becoming an evil old crone, but watching the news this morning about the hurricane, I couldn't help but wonder what the hell was wrong with so many of these people? Do they not plan ahead? Do they not have a hurricane kit ready?
I have my hurricane kit packed and ready to go (have since the start of hurricane season), and I have my list of stuff to take with me in case of evacuation, so that I can pack up my car within 5 minutes and go.
But maybe these people weren't taught to plan ahead or something. They should've been Girl Scouts.
Or maybe, just maybe, it 's yet another example of the new theory about Americans that I'm forming. I'll call it The Theory of American Self-Absorption. Basically it states that Americans are all about opportunity, choice, and freedoms, but ONLY in regards to themselves. Thus they have the freedom to sue someone because they themselves do something stupid, like drying their hair while in the shower (read your hairdryer label - mine specifically warns against doing this - Hello Darwin?). It seems that Americans are getting more and more ridiculous about wanting things to go only their way. If something bad happens, no one says "Well, that sucks, but that's life" and moves on. Instead, it's a blame-finding game of "I refuse to be responsible for my actions, and I refuse to come out on the lower end of the stick than anyone else." Everyone has to win every single time. No one can lose. No one can fail. It's unAmerican to fail. So if something bad does happen, someone else must have been responsible, and it therefore is THEIR job to bail ME out.
Didn't this kind of thing happen to the Romans? Hmmm...
Maybe we should change our Motto to "With Litigation and Self-Absorbed Injustice for All".
Speaking of self-absorption, Joe and I had All You Can Eat Sushi last night until we thought our stomachs would combust. It was fabulous. Sake is so good cold!
I have my hurricane kit packed and ready to go (have since the start of hurricane season), and I have my list of stuff to take with me in case of evacuation, so that I can pack up my car within 5 minutes and go.
But maybe these people weren't taught to plan ahead or something. They should've been Girl Scouts.
Or maybe, just maybe, it 's yet another example of the new theory about Americans that I'm forming. I'll call it The Theory of American Self-Absorption. Basically it states that Americans are all about opportunity, choice, and freedoms, but ONLY in regards to themselves. Thus they have the freedom to sue someone because they themselves do something stupid, like drying their hair while in the shower (read your hairdryer label - mine specifically warns against doing this - Hello Darwin?). It seems that Americans are getting more and more ridiculous about wanting things to go only their way. If something bad happens, no one says "Well, that sucks, but that's life" and moves on. Instead, it's a blame-finding game of "I refuse to be responsible for my actions, and I refuse to come out on the lower end of the stick than anyone else." Everyone has to win every single time. No one can lose. No one can fail. It's unAmerican to fail. So if something bad does happen, someone else must have been responsible, and it therefore is THEIR job to bail ME out.
Didn't this kind of thing happen to the Romans? Hmmm...
Maybe we should change our Motto to "With Litigation and Self-Absorbed Injustice for All".
Speaking of self-absorption, Joe and I had All You Can Eat Sushi last night until we thought our stomachs would combust. It was fabulous. Sake is so good cold!

2 Comments:
Okay, hot shot. Great minds think alike. Read MY Blog and you'll see what I mean.
helllo - I was checking out amanda's blog and found yours. It is so nice to be able to see what the two of you are doing. I should start my own.
Post a Comment
<< Home