Kelli's Sundries and Miscellanies

A little window into the things that make my life what it is: usually interesting, occasionally frustrating, and mostly funny. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: GA

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Bitches and their money. A rant.

Ok, so I had a thought two days ago. Scary, I know. It gets worse. It's about money. My favorite topic of discussion of late! (Other than the European Riding-The-Bike-To-The-Market-Fantasy topic).

I realized the other day that I don't like rich women. In fact, I would go so far as to say I hate them. I hate the way they think they can buy anything and anyone they want. I hate the fact that they're useless human beings who contribute nothing to betterment of the world. I hate that all they have to do all day is take tennis lessons and eat at fancy restaurants and buy expensive clothes made in some sweatshop in Indonesia. I hate that they do "cute" little artsy things, and have opportunitites to sell their stuff, simply because they're rich and know people who can get their stuff sold. I hate that they're high-maintenance and make the rest of us feel bad because we have to pluck our own eyebrows or can't afford to get pedicures or afford personal trainers. I resent them a lot.

A LOT.

I see young women who obviously are wealthy and I think immediately "Oh, I bet they've never had to work a day in their lives. Daddy gives them what they want, and they have some cushy great job because they didn't have to fall into the first job that presented itself to them. And they don't even appreciate that job, because they've probably had everything given to them all their lives, and they don't even understand that some people DON'T have jobs they like, but have to work them anyway. And I bet they're really shallow and do nothing worthwhile or charitable. And their boobs are probably fake."

And this made me wonder if this is part of the reason why I don't make much money. I mean, besides the obvious reason of having no job (thank you sarcastic people out there). But I wonder if some weird self-defeating motivator is going on in my brain, sabotaging me from making money at whatever, because I DON'T WANT TO BE ONE OF THOSE USELESS INSIPID WOMEN WHO TAKE EVERYTHING FOR GRANTED AND NEVER SUFFER AND NEVER HAVE TO WORK FOR ANYTHING IN THEIR LIVES.

Because I know that that stereotype is, like most stereotypes, not completely true. Sure, in some instances it is, but in others it's not. Some wealthy women do wonderful things with their money, and even more importantly, with their time. Their wealth enables them to be able to do good things for other people. Like Angelina Jolie. And Oprah.

And there are some women who are poor but who still do nothing and don't give a crap about getting out of their current situations.

It goes both ways.

I know this.

But still, I am angry sometimes that I wasn't born rich. Or that I never was "discovered" as an amazing craftsperson and have my own daytime tv show and money falling out of my purse because I have so much I don't know what to do with it. Not that I even want to be RICH. I just want to be COMFORTABLE. As in, able to actually buy food that I want, instead of living on grits and old cans of fruit. And able to afford yarn. And an occasional bottle of wine.

I am embittered about it. Especially today. As I sit at work and write out checks for hundreds of thousands of dollars for someone else.

Envy gets us nowhere. Yes, I know. Sometimes though, my blue eyes turn very green. What is to be done about it? Any suggestions?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even when you're a ranting, raving lunatic you make me laugh. It doesn't matter HOW much money you have -- you could be the richest woman in the world -- and you wouldn't turn into one of the nightmarish people you described. Reason? You're DEEP. Way deep. Like the silent abyss deep. You could never, ever, in a million years be so shallow.

That said, if you EVER get a Maltese dog, put diamond barrettes in its long white hair and carry it in a Luis Vitton bag, I will swear I don't know you.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home