I talk to Dead People.
This weekend wasn't exactly as productive as I would like. Oh well. That's what the week is for, right? (I was fighting a nasty headache, and still am a little. Poor little liver, trying to digest those Advil!). Pity Party for Kelli!
On Sunday I went for a walk at Bonaventure Cemetery. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's very beautiful. Very old. Lots of statues and mausoleums and weird tombstones (with random things on them - like frogs). So I parked my car there on Sunday afternoon and went for a nice stroll. And strolled right into a funeral. OOPS.
(Side note: for those who don't know, I have a bizarre habit of doing this. Did it TWICE in Scotland. Once I walked into a church while they were setting up the casket, and once I was admiring a fabulous old Daimler, which turned out to be the family car in the funeral procession, and they were all standing at the steps of the church, wondering who the idiot peeking in the car windows was. But I digress.)
Ok, so at least this time I saw what was happening and was able to only walk BY the funeral, instead of THROUGH it. I tried to tiptoe, but it is autumn, and there were LOTS of acorns on the walkway, and they make a lot of noise. Oops.
Anyway, so there are certain residents I talk to in the cemetery. Now before you think I'm crazy, they don't talk BACK to me. In case you were wondering. But sometimes I talk to them. Like little Gracie (she was 5 when she died), or Doctor Nunn (who was a Mason and has a VERY cool tombstone, like something out of the Davinci Code - I took pictures and will post them), or the Colonel. Who served in the Revolutionary War. Wow. He's old.
Anyway, so I was thinking about if these people still kind of lived in the cemetery, what would they say to the new guy that's moving in? Dr. Nunn would say: "Hey Colonel! Looks like we have a new resident!" And then the Colonel would say to the new guy: "Welcome! Enjoy the view of the river! It's lovely here, except for the mosquitoes. But once you don't have any flesh left, they don't bother you anymore!"
And then I started laughing.
And then I realized that maybe I have a Problem.
On Sunday I went for a walk at Bonaventure Cemetery. For those of you who haven't seen it, it's very beautiful. Very old. Lots of statues and mausoleums and weird tombstones (with random things on them - like frogs). So I parked my car there on Sunday afternoon and went for a nice stroll. And strolled right into a funeral. OOPS.
(Side note: for those who don't know, I have a bizarre habit of doing this. Did it TWICE in Scotland. Once I walked into a church while they were setting up the casket, and once I was admiring a fabulous old Daimler, which turned out to be the family car in the funeral procession, and they were all standing at the steps of the church, wondering who the idiot peeking in the car windows was. But I digress.)
Ok, so at least this time I saw what was happening and was able to only walk BY the funeral, instead of THROUGH it. I tried to tiptoe, but it is autumn, and there were LOTS of acorns on the walkway, and they make a lot of noise. Oops.
Anyway, so there are certain residents I talk to in the cemetery. Now before you think I'm crazy, they don't talk BACK to me. In case you were wondering. But sometimes I talk to them. Like little Gracie (she was 5 when she died), or Doctor Nunn (who was a Mason and has a VERY cool tombstone, like something out of the Davinci Code - I took pictures and will post them), or the Colonel. Who served in the Revolutionary War. Wow. He's old.
Anyway, so I was thinking about if these people still kind of lived in the cemetery, what would they say to the new guy that's moving in? Dr. Nunn would say: "Hey Colonel! Looks like we have a new resident!" And then the Colonel would say to the new guy: "Welcome! Enjoy the view of the river! It's lovely here, except for the mosquitoes. But once you don't have any flesh left, they don't bother you anymore!"
And then I started laughing.
And then I realized that maybe I have a Problem.

2 Comments:
I left a frog on my grandmother's grave.
Don't make fun of me! The reason is because she had this collection of ceramic frongs I used to love to play with as a child. I looked forward to going to visit because of those frogs.
So I bought her a frog the last time I visited the cemetery.
Ok. I stand corrected. Apparently frogs are a popular choice. ;) I'm not laughing! But there is a stone I want to find again (that cemetery is SOOO big it's hard to find anything twice!). It's a tombstone with a killer whale on it. In color. And with no words. Just a Shamu. Um, what?
Post a Comment
<< Home