Kelli's Sundries and Miscellanies

A little window into the things that make my life what it is: usually interesting, occasionally frustrating, and mostly funny. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: GA

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Tuesday's Tidbits

Well, as some of you may have noticed, there are STILL no photos on the blog. Yes, ok, sorry. Joe was on the computer last night, and I was sitting on the couch knitting, and then it was 11 pm. And I was tired from making a fantastic proper Hausfrau dinner of roasted vegetables and tilapia in rosemary oil. So. Maybe tonight is the night for pics. We shall see.

ON THE JOB FRONT:

I had a phone interview on Friday afternoon, and it went pretty well. I didn't wow them quite as much as I had wanted, but I did get asked back for an In-Person interview on the 28th. I also have to give a 15 minute presentation about a topic of my choice so they can see my teaching style. I'm planning to present on Traveling Through Bavaria, and using some of my photos from my Germany trips, and maybe even use PowerPoint! (Joe will have to help me with that - it's been a while). Anyway, am excited/nervous about it, and hope it goes well. It's reassuring to me that someone wants to at least interview me - after being in a lower-level job for so long, you kinda forget you can do more advanced things.

I've actually been thinking about that quite a bit lately - that sensation that everyone else in the world is somehow more capable than I am, no matter what the task at hand may be. It's interesting to work on changing that way of thinking. It's so pervasive, that constant self-doubt, that most of the time I don't think I even catch myself thinking it. I suppose much of it comes from perfectionism, doesn't it? The need to feel that everything I do is Perfect, as if that's possible or even desireable, tends to make me not want to even try! Odd.

Anyway, tangent over.

ON THE HOUSE FRONT:

On Saturday Joe and I worked on the house and got some more things unpacked, furniture set up, boxes cleared out of the house. He's done an amazing job unpacking so quickly! Some of my boxes are still waiting to be unpacked, but mostly they're waiting on his stuff to be set up first. So by the end of this coming weekend, we hope to have all of the boxes out of the house. What an accomplishment that would be!

ON THE FUN FRONT:

On Sunday we trekked north to Effingham County, GA to explore a protected wildlife area called Ebenezer Creek (in the car, obviously - we didn't actually TREK on FOOT like CRAZY PEOPLE). It's a good-sized tributary of the Savannah River, and we had heard that it was good for kayaking. We had no idea. I have NEVER seen such gorgeous trees - old cypress trees with root systems that were at least 8 feet across, trees that we were told were swamp poplars, with a similar wide root, like a cypress. I had expected, hearing that it was "swampy," that it would be covered over with trees, narrow, dank, and spidery. eek. Boy were we in for a surprise. It was wider than we expected, up to 20 or so feet in some places, and we could clearly see the sky above, although it was nice to go into shaded areas because it was a wee bit warm with the sun. We saw all kinds of critters too. The fish jumped out of the water frequently, and I saw a black snake. I also SWEAR UP AND DOWN that I caught a snake sideways on my paddle. A BIG snake. I pulled it partially out of the water, enough to see that it wasn't a branch, and then put my paddle back in the water and let it go.

Also, we saw a GATOR. A REAL LIVE ALLIGATOR IN PERSON AND NOT IN A ZOO. Joe spotted it first, and it was hard to distinguish from a branch, but we could clearly see it's eye, and it bobbed up and down in the water a few times, then went under and stayed under. It was only about 8 or 10 feet away from my kayak. I was slightly spooked. We figure it was about 5 or 6 feet long - not bad!! Although we didn't get a picture of it - it was moving too fast. Also, you wouldn't see the photo anyway, seeing as I am such a slackass with putting pictures on the blog.

But anyway.

We were absolutely enchanted with it. We kayaked for about 4 1/2 hours and 8 miles. Needless to say I was sore. Could hardly brush my teeth that night, because my fingers and forearms just did NOT want to work. But it was stunning.

And yes, we took LOTS of pictures of the trees. :)


ON THE POINTLESS FRONT:

OK! So I was reading The Crochet Dude's blog archives yesterday (because I am an EXCELLENT EMPLOYEE) and he had a fun list thingie going, so I thought I'd do it too.

List 5 Personal Idiosyncrasies (note: that is a hard word to spell):

1) I do not touch other people's feet, nor do I willingly let other people touch mine.

2) I am a neurotic door lock checker. Meaning that when I go to bed, I check the doors by jiggling the handle. At least three times. Each door. This also applies to setting the alarm clock, which I must set and reset 3 times. Then Joe says "are you sure it's set?" and I have to recheck it 3 MORE times. Then he laughs. oh ha ha, aren't we funny.

3) I am disgusted by long, unkempt finger and toe nails. This also applies to those French manicures women get on their toes. Can someone explain that to me? Because that is NASTY, ya'll. NASTY.

4) I sometimes wish I lived in a little cabin in the woods, heated only with a wood fireplace, and I had my own little veggie garden and had 4 or 5 pet cats. All of them named after despotic rulers. "Time for dinner Caligula! Quit scratching the furniture, Nero!" And I would knit all the time and also have some pet sheep. Not named after despotic rulers. They'd be named things like Gary and Bill. And Jacques.

5) I have to sleep with my hair or sheets covering my ears, because I'm afraid bugs will crawl in my ears while I'm asleep. This is because of my biological anthropology teacher in college. Lisa, you know the story I mean. Of course, maybe it didn't skeeve you out the way it did me. Hmph.

6) I can't get am and pm straight. But. For the record, it is WRONG the way people do it. Why count 1 to 12, but have am and pm go from 12 to 11? Either 12 am & 12 pm should be changed to zero, or they need to shift the whole thing by an hour, so that 12:59 pm goes to 1:00 am. Does no one else see this but me?

7) I went over the right number of the list again. Oops.

So anyway, that's probably about it for today. I'd better submit this before blogger does its scheduled maintenance in a few minutes. I'm going to go open the window now and enjoy the rain! Toodles!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home