Kelli's Sundries and Miscellanies

A little window into the things that make my life what it is: usually interesting, occasionally frustrating, and mostly funny. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: GA

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Was I Sorely Missed?

Hi y'all! Sorry I've been so Not Blogging lately. Things are afoot here in the S-A-V. Much to update on. So here goes:

* No word yet on the job, although I know from one of my references that they've been contacting my peeps to get some hopefully good words about me. Will keep you posted.

* I need this new job. Or any other job. The Ass In Charge here at the current indentured servitude gave me a "You Need To Work On Your Negative Attitude" speech on Monday. He said (gasp!) that sometimes it seems I don't even want to be here! Can you believe it? NOT want to be at a crappy, underpaying job, working for a big, overmedicated baby who leaves his dirty underwear in the office floor? Don't believe a word of it!!

But lest I get sued, that's all I'm gonna say.

So! Moving on!

* Am vamping up the applications to any job I can find now. So if you know of anyone who is looking for a nice, sweet charming gal to work for them (I can type too!) let me know.

* Fall is finally coming. Meaning that it is now below 70 at night! Wow! It's practically Arctic!

* I'm working on FOUR articles for the local website I write for (www.savannahbest.com - warning - there is music on the site, for those of you at work). I've got one I'm finishing up to submit tonight. Wish me luck! It's exciting to get published!

* Charity knitting is going well, but not as well as I had hoped. However, I am WAY ahead of the holiday crafting game (WAY ahead, y'all - it's kinda scary, and entirely by accident). But I have finished a couple of kitty sleeping blankets for the Hugs for Homeless Animals charity and will hopefully (once other projects are finished - see above and below) be able to complete many more. I'm also trying to involve my entire knitting group. They're nice cat lovin' folks, so hopefully they'll spare a little time for the homeless shelter kitties.

* Joe is going to Kansas next week for work. Which means I will have evenings and next weekend free for working on numerous projects which need to be finished and mailed out asap. Recipients, and you know who you are, you will be getting your stuff shortly! Really! I swear!!

* I have lost weight due to stress and lack of time for grocery shopping. Not bad.

Ok, so now on to funner (is that a word?) stuff!!! Like CAMPING!!

Joe and I had a FANTASTIC time camping up at Lake Fontana, in NC, this past weekend. We went up on Thursday morning and stayed til Sunday morning. We camped out in a tent and everything! Very exciting! They even had bear-proof trash cans, because we were in BEAR COUNTRY. And also apparently Darling Chipmunk Country. And also Ant Country. But that's another story.

The campsite was at Tsali Recreation Area (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/tsali_brochure.pdf#search=%22tsali%20recreation%20camping%22) (wow, that's quite a long link). We had a nice corner camping pad, complete with a place to park the (stuffed to the gills) Jeep and a stone table with benches, a grill, and a firepit. We were allowed to gather firewood right out of the woods. You can call me Molly Hatchet, because I was GOOD with the axe, if I do say so myself. Joe preferred the hacksaw. He's more about precision. I'm all about the smackdown, apparently.

The first night there was a TERRIBLE thunderstorm that was really scary sometimes, and we got a LOT of rain. Thankfully we had a tarp below the tent and were dry and comfy the whole time (except when Joe went to the Little Boys Room to brush his teeth and I had to go rescue him with the umbrella, and my pajama pants rolled up to my knees).

The next morning it was gorgeous weather. We went kayaking at Lake Fontana, specifically on the Little Tennessee River. The leaves were changing, the water was cool and emerald green and clear, and the fishermen kept a respectful distance and slow pace around us, which is much more than we're used to here in coastal GA, where apparently a favorite pastime of fishermen is to play Sink The Kayakers. But I digress.

The next day we also went kayaking, and did (get this) OVER TEN MILES. I admit I wasn't exactly, um, nice by the end. My arms were working on sheer willpower. And they throbbed for about 2 days afterwards. BUT. I did it!! And Joe didn't have to tow me, even though he sweetly offered. The scenery again was just beautiful. And yes, Rachel, there are plenty of pictures coming your way soon!

We had campfires every night, with wood we found ourselves, and my Girl Scout firebuilding skills came in handy. We cooked over the fire, but Joe had a camp stove for coffee in the morning (is he good or what?). I even taught myself how to knit in the dark, because believe it or not, firelight isn't that helpful for reading, knitting, and other such activities that require facing the fire and facing something else toward your face. Huh. So night knitting. Good thing! The campground was clean and quite peaceful, with lots of trees and a fair amount of privacy.

But there were spiders. Especially a really BIG one in the bathroom. It apparently lived in the shower stall. I saw it the first night in one of the toilet stalls, and opted to go into the other stall. The next day when I went into the bathhouse, the shower was dripping. So I went to turn the faucet off, and this spider came out of a vent and started to come straight toward me. Now, this was a BIG icky brown spider and did I mention it was BIG? As in, the size of an orange (yes, that's body and legs, but seriously, it was SCARY). So this spider is coming straight for me, and I sidestep it and go into the far toilet stall to get away from it, because I am a coward and afraid of something that is 1/1,000,000,000 of my body weight. And when I come out of the stall, I swear that damn spider was WAITING FOR ME, right outside of the stall. So I booked it out of the bathhouse. Because it really wanted to EAT MY FACE. It was sizing me up, I know it, calculating how much web it would take to ensnare a (mostly full-size) human being, and how long I would last as a food source. I could SEE IT THINKING THIS as it tried to CORNER ME with its evil legs and multiple pairs of eyes and general creepiness.

Eek.

Needless to say, I didn't shower. The entire 4 days. Instead, Joe and I did the Northern European thing, and while the rest of the people out on the lake were wearing large quilted jackets and long pants, Joe and I were IN the lake in our bathing suits, getting clean despite the fish poo.

Also needless to say, I opted to go native when, well, nature called. Joe laughed at me though, because I tiptoed into the woods by our tent one night and did my thing, and was so discreet, until I decided I needed to rearrange the foliage around the...deposit site, and made enough ruckus to wake up the campground, scraping dead leaves with my shoes. Oops.

Anyway, it was a wonderful time. We would love to go back another time, and found more campgrounds at Lake Fontana and other area lakes. We camp well together, which is good to know! On the way back, we investigated a few other camping spots, then had a lovely lunch with my mom (roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, glazed carrots, and homemade pumpkin pie - I think mom likes Joe). Then it was a long drive back home, but overall a fantastic trip.

And people in our neighborhood are putting up some SERIOUS halloween decorations. Awesome. Will take photos of that too! I promise!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always make me laugh! Thanks for the description of your weekend. Sounds like Fontana becomes you. You ARE Harold's child, no doubt!

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HATE spiders! One tried to attack me on a walk the other day. It lurked hanging in the middle of the path from its web - can you BELIEVE that? When I sprung the trap it came for me like mad! I am telling you, it's an evil spider conspiracy.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home