Kelli's Sundries and Miscellanies

A little window into the things that make my life what it is: usually interesting, occasionally frustrating, and mostly funny. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: GA

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Heart Day!

Hello everyone. May you have plenty of chocolate on this day of celebration.

As some of you may know, Valentine's Day isn't really celebrated in my household. I was planning to write a diatribe about the ridiculousness of society's unrealistic romantic ideas of love, but, well....I'd rather knit.

So if you want to read a good sermon against the ideals of romantic love in modern society, please refer to the Yarn Harlot's blog. She makes some valid points. Including cleaning the toilet.

It struck me today when we had a Valentine's party at work today, and people got flowers and balloons, and all I could think was "what a waste of money!". I guess it's not a waste to those who get some value out of it, but at the same time, I don't really feel a need for those things. Romantic gifts, in my mind, aren't the same stereotypical things that people give year after year. It seems to me that it's much more valuable to put real thought into a gift, to personalize it. Joe does a wonderful job with gifts that might not seem overtly romantic (see: emergency thermal blanket for my birthday). But you know what? He put a lot of thought into those gifts, and I appreciate it that he wants me to be safe in case of an accident. That shows true consideration, doesn't it?

Besides, roses fade. And they're poisonous.

I had every intention of posting photos today, but unfortunately I can't find the little cord that the camera needs to talk to the computer. Sorry.

One of the photos I wanted to post is of my newest knitting project. Because friends, I FINISHED RACHEL'S SWEATER. Last weekend. Everyone go ahead and say it - get it out of your system. All together now: "Finally!" I know, I know. This sweater was my Olympic knitting project. This sweater was a gift TWO Christmases ago. Rachel has now received this sweater twice as a gift, both times with knitting needles still in it.

But! This sweater is on the way to Rachel (via Mom Express) and hopefully it'll fit and look gorgeous. I learned some valuable things from that project as well. Namely:

(1) Seaming sweaters really isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

(2) Procrastination is stupid. And accomplishes nothing.

(3) I am not so good at the math.

Last night was knitting night at the house. 2 people showed up. We had a nice time, knitting by the fire and drinking wine and/or hot tea.

One thing was funny though: both of them called me a Yuppie. Not in a bad way, but it was rather amusing. Because the way other people view your life from the outside can be really educational, can't it? Here we were, with a fire and drinking tea and chatting, and apparently this type of life is, from someone else's viewpoint, yuppie-ish.

hee hee.

That makes me laugh.

What else to report? Joe is still in Wichita, freezing. I should send him the thermal emergency blanket! It's really REALLY cold there, and he's getting snow. Of course, right now, everyone is getting snow but us!! It was in the 60s again today.

Oh, and an administrative item. My little blog is being spammed for some reason. As if email spam isn't bad enough, now these stupid inconsiderate asses are sending spam into comment sections of people's blogs. SO. I have changed the security settings on the blog so that you have to do a word verification to post a comment. That should keep the spam down, hopefully. I wish someone would find these people and harass them nonstop with junk mail, solicitation phone calls, and about 8,000 spam emails a day. And some viruses. Of the computer and non-computer variety.

Off soapbox.

Now to take a Valentine's Day bath! (Hey - even if I don't celebrate the day, I can at least milk it for the bennies, right?)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Know what? I think the KIDS have the right idea. Celebrate the day with friends, give candy and teensy cartoon cards to everybody, make crafts with construction paper, eat chocolate and cookies and cheetos and drink a juice box (I prefer my juice not in a box, and fermented, but you know). No pressure, it's all fun. Say "Happy Valembimes Day!" to everyone you see. That's the way it oughta be.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home