Kelli's Sundries and Miscellanies

A little window into the things that make my life what it is: usually interesting, occasionally frustrating, and mostly funny. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: GA

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

My Oh My. So Much To Tell!

Well! So much has happened in the last week - where shall I begin?

First things first. Yesterday was my birthday! Thanks to everyone for the kind birthday wishes! I will be posting some photos of the neato stuff that I received. I met a friend at lunch yesterday and we had a nice time, and also found out she is pregnant! Cool! Also? I had banana pudding!!

Then after dropping off a bunch of crap at the humane society thrift shop and taking in one of my old sewing machines for a tune-up, I went home and met up with Joe, who took me out for Indian food (YUM).

So! I got lovely gifts and managed to gain 2 pounds! It was a full day.

What else? My mom gave me a certificate for quilting lessons at a local quilt shop. This is perfect, because (1) I can see how other people run classes, (2) I can meet & greet and get my name out there, and (3) I get to learn how to quilt, which is one of my New Year's Resolutions. Cool. I'm really excited about it - I've wanted to quilt for so long.

On other fronts, I am officially unemployed (what a way to celebrate one's birthday, no?). Last Friday was my last day at the hospital, and I haven't had a chance to sit around and enjoy it because I've been busy sewing (am already doing alterations and commission work), applying for jobs, and organizing stuff that I haven't had a chance to organize while I was working and worrying about the job status and so on. So I've been pretty busy. No time for Murder, She Wrote here! (Although I might have to MAKE time soon, because that's important. Really).

The good news is, I have people looking for jobs for me, and have managed to get several really good leads so far. I have an interview next week at a company near here and found out yesterday a really promising job will be opening up soon at the hospital. And while I have mixed feelings about working at the same place that I just got laid off from, there would be nice benefits (already knowing the place, the people, the insurance, etc). So it's definitely worth looking into.

On a very very very sad note, Joe and I went kayaking this past Sunday and were horrified to see that the Ebenezer Creek's protected status really doesn't mean much of anything. A property owner clearcut the gorgeous cypress forest down to the creek itself. I cried. It's such a shame. Joe spent several hours on the phone later, calling the Army Corps of Engineers, the Nature Conservancy, the DNR, everyone he could think of. Unfortunately it appears the guy was within his rights to do this, but it's so tragic. Joe took some pictures. I couldn't even stomach it enough to look. I'll try to post some pictures so you can share the pain.

But. In an effort to try to do what I can and make my voice heard so that this kind of destruction doesn't continue, I decided that environmental issues are my #1 issues in the upcoming election. I did a lot of research and found out that Obama has higher ratings that Clinton on environmental issues. Both get high scores from environmental groups, but I had to vote my conscience, so I went with Obama. These websites were very interesting, so I'm putting the links on here so you can take a look:

http://www.lcv.org/ - The League of Conservation Voters, which rates candidates on environmental issues.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/ - A source for living in an environmentally sound way, including tips for cooking & cleaning with non-toxic cleaners!

We can make a difference, I hope. I like to think so, anyway.

On to other stuff. I guess those are the major updates in my life of late. Isn't that enough? Clearcutting, aging, voting, unemployment, and banana pudding?

Tomorrow we have a job fair for everyone who got laid off. I must do my nails. They're a mile long and flourescent pink (hey - there has to be SOME benefit to being unemployed!). I have to take care of that tonight though!

And yes, I promise to post photos soon. I know I am a slacker about that!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, I was leaning Obama. But this evening two things have pushed me over to him for sure (at least this week - our primary's still awhile away). First, I read that Clinton loaned her campaign $5M. Now I know that these folks are wealthy and all, but that just seemed so excessive and flagrant to me. Somehow it just rubbed me the wrong way. Second, you posted about the environmental stuff. That's key and it must be addressed. I've also been thinking that if Obama gets the nomination, Clinton's supporters will follow him. I'm not so sure the opposite is true. And the ONE THING I want from this election is an electable democrat.

I just hijacked your blog. Sorry.

Glad you had a good birthday. Can't wait to see what you make in that quilting class.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home