Kelli's Sundries and Miscellanies

A little window into the things that make my life what it is: usually interesting, occasionally frustrating, and mostly funny. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: GA

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Almost Thanksgiving! Eek!

Is anyone else in total disbelief about the fact that Thanksgiving is in TWO DAYS? OMG. How does this happen? Does life continue to go this much faster on a daily basis for the rest of my life? Because at this rate I'll be 93 sometime next month.

We're having a laid back Thanksgiving this year - Mom is coming down from NC and it'll just be the 3 of us. I'm looking forward to spending some time at home with my hot tea and my knitting needles. Oh yeah, and my loved ones and all that. ;)

Thanksgiving is such a nice holiday - not completely commercialized yet. It's just skipped over instead as a marker for the consumption of Christmas. At least it keeps some of its purity, no?

Also I love stuffing. Mmmmmm.....stuffing.

Big news around here is that my current employer is having some continued financial difficulties (since I started working there the issues have been ongoing). I'm watching the news now, waiting to see the interview with our CEO where he announces that there will be layoffs in January. I don't know what that means for me personally - we've been interviewed by a consultant already, but they're hard people to read. ("We hear you've been missing a lot of work lately, Peter." "Well, I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob.") (If you haven't seen "Office Space," do yourself a favor and rent it). Anyway, all that to say that I have no idea if I'll have a job in a month. Slightly stressful.

So partly because of that, and partly because I'm just excited about it, I've been busy working on the sewing business. I found a really nice website I would love to emulate, but it's um....slightly expensive... to buy a website by a designer. This one in particular was about $1500. OUCH. So! Guess who's teaching herself HTML? :D I got some books from the library (*heart* the library!) and some online tutorials that teach the basics of HTML and web design. My practice site so far (not yet uploaded to the internet) isn't fancy-schmancy but I'm pleasantly excited to be able to do simple things like change the background color and the font. Ooh! Green!

Yes, it will take a while to be up to the ideal that I have in mind. Go check out www.poshdaisy.com for some really cute websites. Sigh....

Anyway, it's very fun to be learning something new too - it's been a while since I learned something new like this and I think my brain likes it. Poor thing has been so starved lately. :)

What else is going on here? Just prepping for Christmas, although it's hard to imagine Christmas coming up so soon, since it was about 78 today. People won't be getting the number of hand-made gifts in the past. I'm trying not to overwhelm myself this year with projects. So far it seems to be working pretty well. Of course, as any other crafters reading this might know, the true challenge is to not start new projects the week before Christmas. That's when you get everything ready and wrapped and you sit there and are filled with holiday spirit (and eggnog) and decide in a moment of tinsel-dripped inspiration that you NEED to make crocheted snowflake decorations for everyone. They won't take long. They're small! It's the holiday season and giving is what the season is all about! It would be wrong NOT to make them! It's bringing those beautiful old traditional arts back to life! Each would be a treasured heirloom! And faster than Joe can eat bread pudding, suddenly you look down and see your hands, clawlike in their tenacity, firmly gripping a handful of crochet thread and the tiniest crochet hook on the planet. Where did this stuff come from? Why am I holding all of this? Why is it 3 am? Why do my hands ache? And like the lifting of a heavy fog, your brain clears and you slowly remember the twinkle of the lights on the tree, the warm crackling of the fire, the soft shine of candles reflecting off the ribbons wrapped around presents. And then in slowly creeping horror you realize

You were possessed by the Crafty Christmas Demon. Insidious creature, filling us all with optimism and hope and the ability to ignore the fact that knitting a scarf can take many hours, hours that you don't have before Christmas.

So far I have repelled said demon. But there is time yet. And I get weak around eggnog.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As my buddy Carter says, "Happy Ganks-Turkey!" I love me some stuffing, too.

Good job repelling the Crafty Demon. I'm sure it's a true test of your fortitude to resist. Me? Not tempted. Ever. Because nobody would want what I would make. Sigh. . .

Hope the job thing works out.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhhh thank you! what a nice thing you said about our websites :-) Happy Thanksgiving!!
Denise
Posh Daisy

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home