Kelli's Sundries and Miscellanies

A little window into the things that make my life what it is: usually interesting, occasionally frustrating, and mostly funny. Enjoy!

Name:
Location: GA

Monday, May 14, 2007

Weekend Round-Up Rodeo! Yeehah!

Well! Hey everyone! Welcome to another week. It's Monday night, and boy has it been a Monday. Workplace drama that I won't go into. :P Let's just say that people (1) need people to bitch to and about, (2) are never happy, and (3) generally suck.


SO! Moving on.


Last time we left this exciting piece of literary wisdom, I was going on ad nauseum about something dorky....sewing. And also learning le francais. And also knitting. Wow. And you came back to read more?


Suckers. Just kidding. I love you guys. :)

So updates: I fixed a jacket for work, since it's now 90 out and I try not to wear jackets anymore. Logical! Joe has been fiddling with one of my old sewing machines, trying to get it in good working order, so that I can use it with future sewing students! :)


I'm currently working on the curriculum for sewing students: starting with tools of the trade, fabrics, how to read a pattern, how to do basic sewing (a pillow, a tote bag, a curtain, etc.). Fun stuff! Le stouf du fun! (See? Those French CDs are really paying off!)

Also, congratulations to Shanna, who has taken the plunge and has bought herself a sewing machine. Yay! Gracie NEEDS some new handmade clothes, Mom! :)


On the knitting front (since knitting, like love, is a battlefield) I finished Mom's mohair shawl. Didn't take a photo of it because...well, pick one of the following:


1) It was late.

2) The camera was dead.

3) I had to wrap it and package it for shipping before going to bed.

4) It was actually mohair from a vampire goat and therefore was unphotographable.


If you said any of the above, you're wrong! I was just lazy! It turned out fine and I was fairly pleased with it (perfectionism won't allow me to say I really liked it). It's on its way to mom and is only a week late. Go team!


This past weekend was great. On Friday night Joe and I had a lazy evening - I read blogs and Joe read the backs of his eyelids (heh). On Saturday we got up relatively early and Joe did something wonderful:


The man made crepes. And had bought nutella at the gro sto and we had crepes with nutella and bananas. OH YUM. For those of you who have never had the absolute bliss of nutella, how does one describe it? It's hazelnut and chocolate cream/butter/thick goo that is TO DIE FOR. Also it's not healthy. Even though on the outside of the jar they say things like "Made with Skim Milk!" As if that'll help counteract 48 lbs of hazelnuts in each teaspoon. But whatever. It's fantastic.

And no, you can't have Joe. I have him reserved. ;)

So after crepes avec bananan (man those French CDS are awesome!) we went kayaking on the Ogeechee River. It's not so gator-ridden as the Ebenezer, but had cool stuff. To wit:

This is a yellow-crowned night heron. Surprisingly since they're only wintering here. And also since they are, apparently, nocturnal. No, really? A NIGHT heron? Nocturnal! Wow. Get me my own Animal Planet show. I don't know if you can click on that photo to make it bigger, but this guy was cool. About 2 feet tall and had long feathers hanging off the back of his head. I had to paddle upstream and drift back down to get this photo without scaring him away. Oh, and I also caught a very lovely photo of him barfing up something. I decided not to share that one.

It was a hot day - about 90 or so I think. Felt like it anyway. :) It was so hot, Joe had to dip his feet into the water. This kayaking technique is what I call the "Gilligan." Yes, it's possible to kayak this way, but I don't recommend it for gator water! Mmmm....toes.

After kayaking for hours, (and after Joe SWEARS he saw a sturgeon in the river) we went home where he grilled up the best pork loin steaks EVER.

(As a side note, the fine folks at Kroger didn't use proofreaders for their handwritten signs, because they were advertising a fantastic sale on pork lions. I wanted to either take a photo (no camera with me) or steal the sign (was kinda big to stick in my purse). So you'll have to trust me, but the pork lions were delicious. The Pride of the grill! HA HA. That pork was the Mane event! Oh stop me before I hurt myself!)

We had the pork (lions - heh), grilled corn, grilled potatoes, and (non-grilled) cheesecake. YUM. Then on Sunday we were lazy. I was crampy (hurrah womanhood!) and knitted and read books and had a nice relaxing day.

Then today with the grumpy people. But hey - can't win em all, right?

So I guess that sums it up for me for tonight. I won't bore you with the interesting burger/noodle/greenbean casserole thingie I made tonight - it was good though). Tomorrow is more work and then knitting night at the cafe. Yay! Maybe I'll take my camera. If I remember. Because I never do.

Also it's time to start on a new knitting project! But I can't tell you what it is, because the intended recipient sometimes reads this blog. So shhh!!! Don't tell!

2 Comments:

Blogger Shanna Mac said...

i heart crepes. i just read a wonderful receipe for crepe enchiladas, with banana creamy inside, topped with carmel, toasted coconut, strawberries and whipped cream. HEATED! sadly, i'm supposed to be off carbs. dang baby weight...

i made a pillow today!!!!! it was intended to be a rectangle. it is not. nor is it a square. but, i do think one might gaze upon it and say, "hey, that's a pillow."

gotta start somewhere, eh?

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I recognize that mug. I have its twin right here. Joe's such a sweetie.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home